Life has been busy at the moment (as usual) yet I know I should be glad because a busy life means a life that has been throughly lived and I wouldn’t want it any other way :)
Yet, the drawback is that sewing time is once again greatly reduced…
Nevertheless, and while we’re still waiting for sunnier, brighter days, I took some time to rescue an old favorite: The Mallory dress (from Children’s Corner). I’ve been in love with this pattern for quite a long time.
I love the fact that it’s fully lined and perfect for toddler wear (allows lots of movement and it’s length is also perfect for modesty).
This pattern is great for winter dresses. I’ve made a few versions using corduroy and wool and I’m guessing it would also look gorgeous in denim or in a soft velvet (a navy or red velvet version may, or may not, be already on my sewing list for Christmas):
(yes, I know. Fall season is perfect for softer hues. And, as usual, I overdid it)
Of course, this dress has also been a staple in her summer wardrobe (looks great with and without a t-shirt/blouse beneath) . The pattern works very well in summer months if you use a cotton lawn, batiste or voile for the lining (the lining gives the skirt a nice flare – always a must with my little girl):
It’s awfully cute, when worn (check it here) and it’s really so easy to sew.
I can’t believe that the first Mallory I sew was a size 1 and now I’m already sewing a size 5.
And I still love the way it looks on her – girly and feminine.
The fabric does not photograph very well, but it’s a soft floral twill from fabric finders (it’s not as pink as it may look. I just didn’t have red rickrack in my stash and the chosen pink rickrack makes the pinks in the print pop a bit more).
This pattern goes to size 8 and I’m keeping my fingers crossed hoping that she will still be willing to wear mummy’s handmade dresses when she’s 8 (!).
Now, onto something new…
This week, I started to test a new pattern (I always run a trial test on most patterns to check sizing and fitting. The only exception are Oliver+S patterns, because I always manage to get them right the first time. Always!)
I’m hoping to sew a version using some of the new fabric lines that will be released soon, but so far the testing is almost completed (still in need of buttons).
This pattern calls for quite a lot of fabric (I used almost a yard of a wider length fabric from fabric finders), and, of course, “someone” had to pick a pink (too pink, in my humble opinion) fabric.
Oh well, at least it’s pretty and will definetly get a lot of wear:
Now I’m off to find “something borrowed and something blue…”
(and some buttons, too).
Happy sewing, Ana Sofia