This week I’ve been stepping out of my comfort zone (sewing-wise, of course)…
Both the fabric and the pattern have been on my stash for quite a long time.
I used the Miss Violet pattern from The Handmade Dress (pdf version) as a guide and a multi dots print from the Sweet Nothings line from Riley Blake (love the colors and yet I never managed to cut it – too bold? not enough blue/pink hues?)
Miss Violet is a simple peasant blouse or dress (I choose the blouse version) with an option for adding a honeycomb smocking.
Honestly, I bought the pattern (during a sale) just because of the honeycomb smocking. It looked like something I could venture on my own.
And it really was that simple. I was impressed with the outcome (even if I can spot lots of errors in my “smocking”).
Overall, it looks pretty and I’m glad I still have (lots of ) room for improvement.
I’m really looking forward to add a bit of smocking in my sewing projects.
Regarding the blouse pattern, I think the sleeves look a bit too poufy for my taste (and the pattern sizing was also a bit on the smaller size).
Yet, I must add that the pattern instructions are really detailed and well-written (these patterns are intended with the beginner sewer in mind so no buttonholes or zippers to deal with).
I did, however, follow Samantha’s online tutorial for the honeycomb smoking and found it very useful (I’m a visual sewer, after all).
Of course, now I just need to convince the intended recipient that this blouse is really cute and “fit for a princess”.
Because, to be honest, I already have plans for taking my “brand-new” smocking skills to a new level!
(Just bought a beautiful blue chambray that is begging to be smocked …)
xo, Ana Sofia