Almost three years ago I decided to sew most of my daughter’s wardrobe.
The main reasons were: 1) I was eager to learn more and this was a great way to practice, 2) sewing for a little girl is both fun and inexpensive (not too much fabric involved) and 3) I could sew her (or try) to clothes that I really love (but that are often too expensive or hard to find) using designs that suited her age and good quality fabrics (like cotton, law, linen and wool).
I think it went quite well.
My sewing pieces were nicer than expected (lots of time perfecting some techniques and lots of pattern testing), none felt apart (so far) and all withstand the test of time (and toddler playing). Often, she gets asked where she got her clothes from (if she’s not in the mood, she will say her dad sew them for her, but most time she will say mummy (and me) made them, lol) and she feels really proud to wear then (and help selecting buttons and trimmings).
Then, this year at school all the girls are wearing wear sweat pants, jeans and store-bought clothes with glitter and TV characters. While she also wears jeans and sweat pants (ok, sweat pants, not that often), I mostly sew her dresses and skirts (and there’s really no glitter involved). 😦
So, when I show her the Croquet dress started late this summer (her fabric picks), she told me she didn’t like it anymore.
Yeap, apparently this dress now looks like a nightgown (and just for the record, she only wears pajamas like her brothers. She will often add a tiara and maybe a tulle skirt over it).
Why does this looks like a nightgown, you may ask (I know I did)?
“Because of the bow”. The most cute and adorable bow ever on a dress in my humble opinion of course, (floral from the Children at Play fabric line) seems to be the thing to blame. I’m pretty sure she said it as an excuse.
Nevertheless, it’s been hanging in her room for over 1 month. She only wore for taking the pictures. She won’t wear it outside the house (and not even to sleep).
I do need some tricks!!!
A few sewing notes:
1. Following some great advise from other sewing friends, I cut the skirt a bit longer (size 7). The bodice is a size 5 (she could probably use a size bellow, but I only had the bigger size). She tried it first with the shorter hem length, but it was really too short for my taste. I lower the hem and now it fits much better.
2. I also added a few inches to the waist elastic. The recommended measure was too tight for her and the dress didn’t drape nicely. After a quick adjustment, the drape is now much better (it’s a low waisted dress, and doesn’t look nice if too fitted around the waist).
3. I used a very sheer seersucker, so I also added a lining to the skirt. It gives a nice body and drape.
4. And finally, I also made a fabric loop for the back. Just because it was much easier for me.
(Note: The following pictures were taken after the modifications (added length, lining and looser elastic at the waist). The pictures above were taken before making the modifications)
The dress, as all Oliver+S patterns was a dream to sew and I could definitely sew some more, yet for the time being I don’t see this will happen soon.
She still won’t wear it 🙂
At least, I’m glad I made a larger size.
Next year, I know she will love it 🙂
(keeping my fingers crossed, lol)